My #1 new years resolution for 2016 was to learn how to relax and take time for myself. Before making this a priority, I let my stress take over my life from the moment I woke up until my body finally gave in to sleep (around 2 or 3am). Over the past year, I’ve developed a few relaxation rituals that really help me get into cozy chill mode and I’ve listed five essentials below. What helps you relax?
- Candles: Something about lighting candles makes all my worries go away. I love sandalwood and amber aromas from Bath&Body Works and Anthropologie.
- Face Masks: The soothing feeling of using a spa-like facial mask transports me to a place of total serenity. I love SK-II sheet masks and Lush fresh face masks.
- Tea: I have been obsessed with tea since middle school. The soothing aroma and warmth help my body calm down. My favorites are Tazo chai tea and blueberry herbal tea.
- Cozy blankets + Pillows: There is no better feeling than sinking into a soft bed and wrapping a knitted blanked around your shoulders as you lay your head down on silk and fur pillowcases. You don’t need to break the bank to achieve this luxurious feeling-most of my softest pillows and throws were purchased for less than $20 at Target and T.J.Maxx.
- Yoga: My mom taught me yoga sequences at an young age, and I was doing bedtime yoga as early as 11 years old. Now I practice almost daily because it has tremendously helped my anxiety. I recommend a restorative yoga sequence or these nighttime yoga poses to help you relax come bedtime.